Subtracting the anxiety and adding some fun to testing!
Spring testing can create a lot of stress and anxiety for both students and teachers. We know how important these tests are in measuring our effectiveness as educators, but we are also committed to creating an environment that fosters joy. Students and teachers are on the same team, fighting for the same goal and it shows at all of our schools!
Jayson Franklin, an 8th grade Social Studies teacher at KIPP Ascend Middle School who has been with us for 11 years, worked with several students and teachers from the 8th grade team to create a music video to take some of the nerves out of standardized testing. They changed the words from the Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus song, “Old Country Road,” to pump up the school and add some fun to a challenging time!
Other articles in this issue:
- Whole Child + Whole People
- Social and Emotional Learning (SEL), Mindfulness, and Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence
- Amplifying inquiry and evidence through Science
- Passion Projects
- Children’s Museum of Art and Social Justice
- Social Justice Fair
- 10 years of Arts Programming at KIPP Ascend Primary
- Featured in Chicago Magazine
- Blooming Gardens
- Harriett Ball Excellence in Teaching
- In Other Exciting News