The Latest from our Superintendent
July 17th, 2020
I am writing today with an update about KIPP Chicago’s plan for the school year. As you may know, we decided weeks ago to prioritize the safety of our staff and students by deciding to start school remotely. I’m grateful for this early decision as it allowed our leaders and teachers to thoughtfully focus on preparing to be the best remote classroom teachers this city has to offer. KIPP Chicago will keep its promise of providing an excellent education to our students and communities regardless of our setting.
In light of Mayor Lightfoot’s recent announcement that CPS district led schools will be operating a remote teaching model through the end of the first quarter, I wanted to reach out to our families. We will continue to monitor this situation closely and will remain consistent in making decisions that center the health and safety of your children and their teachers. As a result, our new tentative on-site start date will be Tuesday, November 10th. This means our entire first quarter of learning will take place remotely. We do not take the impact this decision has on our families lightly. We know how hard it is to wear the hat of a parent and teacher while navigating the realities of this time.
If it becomes safe enough, we will pursue ways for our buildings to provide space for students to complete their remote learning.
As a parent myself, I know how much it means when caring leaders and teachers greet our children with a supportive online classroom and engaging learning opportunities. Below are a few highlights of KIPP’s remote schooling model this Fall:
- Access. KIPP will work with every single child to ensure that they can access our technology platforms for online school.
- As close to normal school experience, given the circumstance. KIPPsters will be in Live Zoom classes every single day with their teachers and classmates. KIPPsters will have many hours of grade level instruction to complete outside of Live Zoom classes. KIPPsters will have access to fun Zoom activities so they can connect with their classmates on Wednesdays.
- The Best Online Education Programs. KIPP has purchased licenses for the top online education platforms for every student.
- Communication. Every parent/student will receive a one-on-one conference before the year starts to ensure they have everything needed to be successful. Once the year starts on August 24th, KIPP staff will contact students/families at least twice a week, and families will receive progress reports each week that show student grades and online attendance.
- Small group attention. KIPPsters will also have access to Zoom small groups with less than 10 students. KIPPsters may also be in small group Zooms with their teachers if they are struggling to understand a concept.
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Schools will recognize students with pictures, prizes, and celebrations on social media accounts.
In closing, I want every parent to know that our Principals began planning way back in May for the possibility of remote school this Fall. As I write this letter, teachers are receiving professional development with the aim of becoming the best remote instructors this city has to offer. In other words, you can count on KIPP right now. We can’t wait to see your children online for our first day of remote school on Monday, August 24th. Please be on the lookout for communication from your specific school in the next two weeks. Also, I ask that you check your email and complete our family survey if you have not already done so. Your voice matters to us.